Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Length between each letter in a string

fomenter
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I wonder if I can measure the lenght between each letter in a string of text. Only first and the last letter are positives (M and N), characters between first and last letter (A and I) are negatives

Example: Main

M(13TH letter)-A(1st letter)-I(9th letter)+N(14TH)=13-1-9+14=17

Maybe it is a long shot but worth to try. Thanks in advanced

4 REPLIES 4
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

I'm guessing there may be an easier way but this seems to work; (workflow attached)

Capture.PNG

fomenter
8 - Asteroid

OMG! You are awesome. I ll try this as soon as I get back to work, but thank you for trying!!!

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Great answer John.

I had a look at your workflow and made it slightly more concise

workflow.png

attached is the workflow.

In the example from the OP the workflow I have created converts - MAIN to 13, -1, -9, 14 = 17. Another example from mine would be HELLO converts to 8, -5, -12, -12, 15 = -6

In comparison Johns workflow converts - MAIN to 11, 1, -7, 12. and HELLO to 6, -3, -10, -10, 13 = -4.

Not to sure on why this discrepency exists, maybe it's a difference in our interpretation of the question and example given.

Regards,

Ben

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Great stuff @BenMoss, can't believe I didn't think of MultiRow formula!  (I've also fixed my earlier link, for anyone wandering through.)

Labels