Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Keep Raw Data Format in output

hsyuibe86
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Fellow Designers,

I have a data formatting question that maybe you can help me with.

My major data input( from excel) comes with color coding, but the color coding has no logic to follow, it looks like this(yellow and blue mean different type of demand):

hsyuibe86_1-1655825613040.png

I've had my workflow figured out with hundreds of calculations, now it's time for data output to excel sheet.

I'd like to keep the exact color coding as my original data, but even after sorting everything the same sequence as before, it's still not guaranteed that i have exact same SKU as my original data set, so overwrite range doesn't work for me.

Anyone has any tricks in their sleeves please?

Thank you very much,

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @hsyuibe86 , you can use the Reporting tools to create a table of your data and apply conditional color formatting. You can then use the Render tool to export the Excel file. Check out this video on how to build a table

hsyuibe86
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you Michelle,

The only problem was that my color formatting has no other logic other that keep it from the raw data, so the traditional reporting and rendering might not apply.

MichelleL
Alteryx
Alteryx

@hsyuibe86  - if keeping the records in the same order would help, add a 'Record ID' to your workflow immediately following your Input.  Then just before your output add a 'Sort' and sort on the 'Record ID'.  To get rid of the 'Record ID' field, add a 'Select' tool and deselect it.  Right after those tools, should be your Output.  In the Output tool configuration options, be sure to check 'Preserve Formatting on Overwrite'.  This option can be tricky, it works best with data that does not grow or shrink unexpectedly, but there are ways to get that to work as well.  

MichelleL_0-1655913347461.png

Labels