Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Joints Won't stop processing

Exepnob
5 - Atom

Hello Everyone,

I have a strange problem, one of my joints not progressing pass 50%. I have tried many times and waited many hours. It's a simple join one field to a one field.

Annotation.png

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
Genevieve
8 - Asteroid

Have you looked at how many columns and rows are created?

It used to happen to me when I found out that I was reaching 11,000 columns and mutliplied the rows to a point the computer could not process.

It may not be the solution but an option to explore.

phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Are there duplicate values in your join columns or are there null values in these columns? My guess is you are doing a many-to-many join which is making your dataset much larger. One thing I've done in the past is add the random sample tool before one side of my join and only send a small sample into the join tool. Then look at how many rows your dataset has before the join and after the join.

Exepnob
5 - Atom

It's 35 columns.

Exepnob
5 - Atom

Thank you! The random sample tool might be a good idea. 

phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

With a random sample, you can hopefully successfully run your workflow to help figure out what is causing the issue. I would also recommend trying one join at a time so you can pinpoint which tool is causing the problem.

Genevieve
8 - Asteroid

Have you tried to look in depth into both your primary keys?

For diagnostic purposes I often use a summary tool to group  and count my primary keys. If you have many identical on both sides of your input, this is where the system will multiply the rows by matching each of them together.

Labels