Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Join while ignoring nulls in secondary table

Abhishek_Gupta
6 - Meteoroid

I have a primary table and a secondary table. I need to join the primary table with secondary table to obtain the value of SKU in Primary table. But I want to ignore the join condition for columns for where it  null in secondary table,i.e. if there is null in a certain column there could be any other value in the primary table for that particular column.

I know that this could be achieved using "IIF" in formula tool, but in that case I will have to code each and every row from the secondary table into the formula. And I am having more than 150 rows in the secondary table. Is there any way to achieve the same using a join or something else?

Below are the example for the same:

Primary Table

Brand Sub BrandProductAdditionalSKU
b1sb1p1sdf 
b2sb2 sdf 
b3sb3p2sdf 
b4 p3sdf 
b5  sdf 
b6 p4sdf 
  p5sdf 
  p6sdf 
 b7 p7sdf 

Secondary Table

Brand Sub BrandProdcuctSKU
b1sb1 1
b2sb2 2
b3sb3 3
b4  4
b5  5
  p46
  p57
  p68

Join Result

Brand Sub BrandProductAdditionalSKU
b1sb1p1sdf1
b2sb2 sdf2
b3sb3p2sdf3
b4 p3sdf4
b5  sdf5
b6 p4sdf6
  p5sdf7
  p6sdf8
b7 p7sdf 
4 REPLIES 4
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Abhishek_Gupta If you have a set number of columns, perhaps the attached could work for you. I just tried joining on brand first, then sub brand, then product. By unioning all the results, I got the desired result. Perhaps your actual situation is more complicated and won't work for this method.

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

@Abhishek_Gupta,

Here's one more option should you still be looking for others...

image.png

Abhishek_Gupta
6 - Meteoroid

@patrick_digan Thanks for the help...But I guess this would become a very complicated solution in my original situation.

Abhishek_Gupta
6 - Meteoroid

@jrgo This one is a nice solution. Although I achieved the task by using "Conditional statements(IF then)". But I will use this approach in my next task. Thank you  

Labels