Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Join datasets with no common fields

reginawhelan
8 - Asteroid

Hi, I have two datasets and they do not have any common fields. Is there a way I could join them?

File #1 - lists all the customers with their personal details

File #2 - information about the group of customers

The purpose of the flow is to clean/format the data in File #1 to load into our system.

I want to add a feature that will automatically assign identification numbers IF a certain field is populated in File #2.

3 REPLIES 3
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Do you have some sample data you're able to share?

I'm not sure how helpful it'll be to join the two datasets together if there is no common information, but you can use the Join tool with Join by Record Position to essentially place the two datasets next to each other.

echuong1_0-1594319177756.png

wwatson
12 - Quasar

I would suggest you will need to create a join field in both input sources based on your IF statement.

Can you provide a small sample of the 2 inputs with the logic you want to use?

reginawhelan
8 - Asteroid

Thank you! I used the 'Join by Record Position' and received the desired results. 

I am now struggling with the If statements. After the join:

- added an If Statement to check and see if an Identifier/Record ID should be assigned - works great. Was dependent on the info in File #2. New column (Assign Cert # ) "if isempty([SD System Generated ID]) then null() elseif [SD System Generated ID] = "System Generated" then "Yes" else "No" endif"

- added a record ID function

- another If statement in a Formula function "if [Assign Cert # ] = "Yes" then [RecordID] else [F4] endif"

I want the record ID to appear in column [F4] if [Assign Cert # ] is "Yes"

it is not working. Do you know what I could be doing wrong?

Labels