Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

JSON not read

KaiLarsen
9 - Comet

Hi!

I'm having some trouble reading in what seems like standard and commonly used JSON files from Kaggle. 

"ConvError: Input Data (9): Error message: The document is empty. at character position: 0"

I tried a couple of solutions on this board, but no luck.

Kai :-)

5 REPLIES 5
MikeSp
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello @KaiLarsen,

As the .json files you are reading are encoded in UTF-8, you'll need to set your Code Page setting in the Input Data tool appropriately. This should get you moving!

2018-07-26_10-38-12.png

Since your input is being read as JSON directly, you likely won't need the JSON Parse tool (if you were reading your .json file in as a raw text file, this is when you would need something like that). Once you've got the data in you can begin to manipulate it. I found a good post that illustrates how to take the data and convert it into a more tabular format with an example if you're interested as well!

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/parsing-JSON/m-p/159649

Mike Spoula
Senior Solutions Architect
Alteryx
KaiLarsen
9 - Comet

Sigh...it's the details that get one.

You rock, Mike! Thanks!

irisp
5 - Atom

Just want to suggest a tool , if you are working with JSON a lot. this tool is helping me for validating and formating JSON data.

JSON Formatter

JohnR
7 - Meteor

Thanks +1

JKFoil
7 - Meteor

Thank you Mike. helped me a lot

Labels