Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Inventory Management: Collisions

Amy_C
7 - Meteor

Hi everyone.

I was hoping somebody could help me with the following.

I’m part of a cloud computing business where customers rent our machines. Machines are rented by daily slots. I’d like a way for us to be able to track our inventory so that our local coordinators are able to visually see which slots are available and book them in. Dark grey signifies a booked slot and light grey signifies a reserved slot:

calendar.png

In the above example, Project Stream for Machine 3 has been booked in as confirmed. Project River is then booked in as reserved however there are collisions on the 3rd and the 5th.

One of my ideas is to have the local reps fill in an excel form within their directory on the network. So a template with headers: Machine #, Project Name, Start Date, End Date, Notes.

A process is then created which collects all of these files and outputs the raw data which I can then feed into Tableau, create a dashboard like the above and then onto the server for the local reps to be able to use. When reps want to edit or delete an entry they simply delete the file off their network directory. I could then run a process once a day or whenever needed. I'd also like a way for our reps to be able to click on a booking and be able to view what dates the collisions occur so they can easily relay this back to the customers.

Is this the best way to approach this problem? Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thank you for reading this!

11 REPLIES 11
alex
11 - Bolide

Forgot to mention I added a row to the data set to show project stream having reserved machine 7 for 3/3 thru 3/4 to show a project collisions.

Amy_C
7 - Meteor

Hi Alex,

Thank you again! Great explanation and solutions. 

Even you're 'rusty' Tableau skills are something to be envied :)

Many thanks for your help.

Labels