Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLUCIONADO

Import data from specific position from excel file

Dave
Asteroide

Hi all

Trying to import data from an Excel file into Alteryx. The range of data I want to import starts in Cell B15 (first header) and can finish in any cell after it (the file can be of varying size)

I've tried changing the input conditions as follows:

Dave_0-1644571282230.png

Ive tried adjusting like this

Dave_1-1644571336555.png

No matter what way I try it I get the following error:

Dave_2-1644571380341.png

There's no dynamic input at play, just a straight input from a defined single file.

When I amend the file by deleting the first 14 rows and the blank column, the data uploads fine, but I want to build a tool that will mean I wont need to do this prep

Any help would be appreciated

Dave

10 RESPOSTAS 10
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @Dave ,

I think, you should remove the "Start Data Import On Line" entry, if you set a range to be imported, that is not needed.

Best,

Roland

binuacs
Arcturus

@Dave it is working for me. Can you try a different workbook

binuacs_0-1644572202460.png

Dave
Asteroide

Thanks Guys - I have tried both solutions separately and it does not work still

Dave
Asteroide

Have tried a different workbook and getting the same result. It is very strange

binuacs
Arcturus

@Dave Can you try the attached workflow and see still you are getting the same error

Dave
Asteroide

lol yeh that worked. The problem seems to be that I cant set the table range without entering the $ at the range definition stage. But yours does not seem to require it. 

Thank you so much. Ill figure it out from here :)

NicoleDuhamel
Asteroide

I think your setting for "Start data import on line" is conflicting with the range you've entered - you've told it to import a specific range and then to start on row 15.

Starting the data import on row 15 will mean that it picks up your data starting in your actual row 30 (because cell B15 will be in row 1 of the import). You need to either specify a range OR start the import on row 15, not both.

Personally I'd start the import on row 15, then Dynamic Rename to get the right headers & use a Select tool to drop col A from your output.

Dave
Asteroide

Thanks Nicole - I tried both of these separately. The issue seems to be I cant finish out this step:

Dave_0-1644573497687.png

Without entering the $ before b14, but when I do that the range isnt recognized. Binacus sent me his workflow and it works fine. Id love to understand why

binuacs
Arcturus

@Dave Can you attach a sample file which you are facing issue? will try from my side.

Rótulos