Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to use containers - help please

ChrisKirk
6 - Meteoroid

Hi All 

Another newbie question so apologies. I've created a few workflows now that are based on multi tab directories of separate excel files. Each tab is different though the schemas for the workbooks are the same. I've built the workflow so that each tab on the workbook has its own parallel flow that is summarised/ combined etc towards the end and then consolidated into my data extract report. 

To make the flow more readable and look simpler (and to aid documenting it), seems sensible to put each flow into a container. As this is retrofitting, I've tried dropping cut and paste or simply drag and drop into the container. Three Q's

1. is there a default "auto expand" setting that I'm missing on the left hand side somewhere
  2. As the container boxes are too small for more than one icon, if there isn't an auto-expand, how do I manually size the container to be approx the right size for my workflows?
  3. Are containers a good idea in the first place - I suspect yes, but having zero experience of them, not sure if there are better ways or if containers are best practice

Thanks in anticipation

Chris K

2 REPLIES 2
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @ChrisKirk ,

Welcome to the community!

First tell you that yes, containers are a good way to keep your workflow organized. You can even click on the left upper corner to disable them just in case that part of the workflow is not currently necessary.

Another way to move all the tools to a container is selecting all the tools that you want to be inside, then right click, then click on 'add to new container'.

If you need more info about it check here:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-Tool-Container/ta-p/36...

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Regards

ChrisKirk
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you so much. Didn't think of looking in a right click menu. So easy. Highlight the tools, right click and add to new container... 

Thanks again

Labels