Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to skip columns when writing to a range in Excel?

avanibhatnagar
8 - Asteroid

I have a workflow that outputs to a excel template (overwrite range and preserve formatting selected). I have it set to output to C3:BC12, but if I want to skip the following columns: AS, AT, AH, AI, W, X, L, M. Is there a way I can do this? I have some formulaes in those columns and I want those columns to populate in excel using the formula and do not want alteryx to write to those columns. I have tried outputting to a NAMED RANGE but that doesn't work either. Any thoughts on how I could do this or if it's even possible? (The formulas in those excel columns are a lot easier to do in excel than in Alteryx)

16 REPLIES 16
avanibhatnagar
8 - Asteroid
Still no luck. Error says this:

Output Data (2) Invalid range: "Test_Row_1". Check sheet to make sure cells in range are contiguous, or specify a new range.

It does say "contiguous" so i wonder if named ranges won't work??

avanibhatnagar
8 - Asteroid

Here is the alteryx workflow and excel. Not sure what i'm doing wrong. 

flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @avanibhatnagar 

A single named range in an Excel file must consist of contiguous cells without any gaps. Your [Test_Row_1] is actually two separate and disconnected ranges, so naming it in this way is meaningless.

Therefore, your [Test_Row_1] should be defined as "=Sheet1!$B$1:$E$2", either defined [Test_Row_1]=Sheet1!$B$1:$C$2 and [Test_Row_2]=Sheet1!$E$1:$E$2 , Then output according to your expectations into the corresponding named ranges.

avanibhatnagar
8 - Asteroid

@FLY  So then I would have to output using different output tools. I was hoping to output using just 1 tool where it would skip the columns I want it to skip looks like that is not an option then

flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @avanibhatnagar 

No, you still just use 1 output tool to get your want, only need assign the multiple-ranges by your formula.

avanibhatnagar
8 - Asteroid

@flying008 Sorry - I feel like I'm still stuck (Thanks for being here still!). I'm not sure what you mean by assigning multiple ranges by the formula? 

flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @avanibhatnagar 

Yes,  assigning multiple ranges by the formula, just do it !

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels