Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to reference the text input in the workflow?

lillyt2006
7 - Meteor

Hi

I have a text input (ABC) which I have to use as part of the output filename in Excel. (ie.  Output_ABC.xlsx)

I know how to create the formula to replace the entire path for the output name.

The text input is used to filter out the rows but its not a selected field for the final output.

I create the formula towards the end of the workflow but it does not recognize the text input variable.

I also try to create the formula right after the SQL but just before I write to the output, the formula also doesnt recognize variable.

Thanks in advance

9 REPLIES 9
PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @lillyt2006 

Make sure the file name or file path is in a column with a value associated with it.

Can you attach your workflow or a sample workflow?

In the output tool (below) you will need to select the file path column (take file/table name from field configuration).

Output Tool.png

Hope this helps, if it does please like the post and mark it as a solution.

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@lillyt2006 , Here is a sample workflow to your query. You need to use the formula tool for this and you can suffix your excel file name with whatever name you want.

Please accept my solution if it helped and let me know if you need any help on this.

grazitti_sapna_0-1670909982762.png

Sapna Gupta
lillyt2006
7 - Meteor

I apologize for being so confusing. Filepath and filename are defined as constant. 

The input_date needs to be part of the filename.  I dont know how to carry the input_date data into the formula that builds the filename.

In this example the input_date feeds into one datasource, but the actual workflow feeds into many different datasources.

I attach the workflow.  (I had to remove the data in the dynamic input object for security reason)

Thank.

lillyt2006_0-1671066335066.png

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @lillyt2006 

I have provided a sample WF. Please take a look and let me know if you have any questions.

Hope this helps.

lillyt2006
7 - Meteor

I like the way how you have all the variables define in the input text.

But I need to use the dynamic Input to build the SQL.  And once I add that, the formula breaks.

It doesnt recognize any text input.

lillyt2006_0-1671073205943.png

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Can you provide sample data of what records/columns are coming out of the dynamic input tool?

Can you provide the data types also? 

I believe the issue is occurring due to the dynamic input tool.

lillyt2006
7 - Meteor

I enclosed a workflow.  Not sure how I can send a database over.  It connects to a database.  The sql is dynamically built based on the input_date. ( select field1, field2, field3 from Table where business_date = 'V_DATE')   V_DATE = input_date.  All fields are string.  The final output does not include the date column but only as part of the filename.

lillyt2006
7 - Meteor

Thanks for looking into my question.  I dont see an text input and dynamic input in the same workflow.  

The text input is to be appending to the filename.

The formula does not recognize the text input.

lillyt2006_0-1671200827783.png

lillyt2006
7 - Meteor

I got it to work using the Append Field. 

Thanks for your help

Labels