Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to read data directly from Tableau server

Alteryx_user_aK
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have a requirement to read data directly from server. with Input Tool I can read Tableau Hyper Data Extract file (.hyper) but it required manual process of access to create the file and store it in common location accessible to Alteryx and Tableau server.

I am looking for a tool like "Tableau Output" or "Publish To Tableau server" which can directly connect to the server and read the data.

Thanks in Advance.

aK

2 REPLIES 2
nagakavyasri
12 - Quasar

The only option to get data from a Tableau server is to use the Tableau REST API to connect to server and query the datasources..

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Alteryx_user_aK - I'm pretty certain that there is no way (other than tableau proprietary solutions) to read data out of a tableau server which has been published into it.     

By far the easiest way forward is to speak to the team who are publishing data into the Tableau server, and just intercept the data at source.

BTW - this is also much much safer because if you're consuming a second or third hand copy of data, you have no way of knowing what filters were applied or where they may have adjusted the data - which then puts you in a tenuous position when it comes time to attest to the fidelity and accuracy of your analysis.

Labels