Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to pass variables to Pivot Table

Kuha
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I am creating a pivot table using this process.

Kuha_0-1680339548080.png

I have to create about 20 pivot tables. Is it possible to pass the info required for the 'Cross Tab' from a text file using micro, So I don't need to create 20 processes?

I am new to Alteryx and not familiar with micro. Any suggestions would be a great help. Thanks.

Kuha

14 REPLIES 14
martinding
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Kuha,

Please see below:

martinding_0-1680398755165.png

I've set a relative path in the macro, but feel free to change it to your desired saving location in the formula tool.

martinding_1-1680398843902.png

Kuha
7 - Meteor

Hi @martinding,

Thank you very much for the solution. It works fine with my production data.

Kuha

Kuha
7 - Meteor

HI @martinding ,

I was experimenting further using your macro to enhance the process, but I am unable to get it right.

This is what I did. I added another column (FilePathe) with file details in the hope of saving the pivot data in the same file and sheet.

Report IDFilterColumn HeadersValuesMethod of AggregatingFilePath
Report01RegionRepC_Jan-23SumC:\DbTemp\Alteryx\Pivot_Report_03-Mar-2023.xlsx|||Pivot1$A1:L4
Report02RepItemC_Feb-23SumC:\DbTemp\Alteryx\Pivot_Report_03-Mar-2023.xlsx|||Pivot1$A9:F20
Report03RegionItemTotalSumC:\DbTemp\Alteryx\Pivot_Report_03-Mar-2023.xlsx|||Pivot1$A25:F28
Report04ItemRegionTotalSumC:\DbTemp\Alteryx\Pivot_Report_03-Mar-2023.xlsx|||Pivot1$A32:D37

Any idea how to make this work? Or is it even possible?

Kuha

martinding
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Kuha,

Yes, it is possible to save the data on the same sheet and in the same excel file.

There are multiple approaches:

1. Make use of the reporting tools (the approach I took)

2. Saving as ranges (I haven't tried this approach but I think it is less dynamic as it may be difficult to predict what the ranges will be before creating the tables).

There might be other approaches as well that I am not aware of, hopefully, other people in the community can help (feel free to post this as another question, I would also be really interested to see other solutions and approaches!)

Please see below for the Reporting Tool approach (I've updated the workflow and macro slightly): 

martinding_0-1680557844444.png

Kuha
7 - Meteor

Hi @martinding 

Thank you very much for your time and effort. It is very useful. I never tried any reporting tools. It is a starting point.

I have now managed to create and save the Pivot outputs to the same Excel file. I am just learning macro and your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Kuha

Labels