Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to handle the Precision Lost Error

danielkresina
9 - Comet

I'm trying to load some data from CSV files that have numbers with very high precision.  Due to other reasons, I have to load the data as text fields and then convert it to numbers in my workflow.  Whenever I try to convert the string values to numbers, I get a warning at runtime that the numbers "had more precision than a double. Some precision was lost."  This occurs no matter what numeric datatype I try to use.

I'm fine with rounding these rediculously precise numbers, but I'd like to supress the warning message somehow.  I tried explicityly using the ROUND function, but that doesn't work since I need to convert the text to numbers anyway before the round function can be used so I still get this error.

rtaImage (5).png

Any ideas?  Thanks.

18 REPLIES 18
cbridges
11 - Bolide

Thank you @AdamR_AYX for reducing my conversion errors from 100 + to only 1! My numbers are LAT/LONG and my error now is "ConvError: Create Points (37): LAT: A value was out of range and no point was created."

Any suggestions?

(I have a personal mission to have no conversion errors - not because I care about rounding, but because they're annoying)

@thizviz
cbridges
11 - Bolide

Quick update @danielkresina - turns out my original issue had nothing to do with rounding. I had null values in my raw data and didn't realize I could / needed to convert those to zeroes before proceeding. Solved all my problems in that workflow! Shout out to @BlytheE for that gold nugget!

@thizviz
AdamR_AYX
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

So you will want to put a filter before the Create Points tool and filter off any out of range latitudes with the following formula

[lat] <= 90 && [lat] >= -90

then you just need to decide what to do with the records that come out of the false side

Adam Riley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/adriley/
cbridges
11 - Bolide

That works perfectly! Thanks!

@thizviz
cbridges
11 - Bolide

And, it detected an instance where lat and long were reversed! Well done!

@thizviz
Jasers
6 - Meteoroid

What if you want to keep the precision?  I have a crazy long number in string format like 568.1500244140625 that I get from an api feed, but when I use tonumber, it rounds it.  How do I keep the precision?  After using tonumber, it goes to 568.15.

RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Testing out your number, I used a formula tool and changed the Data Type to FixedDecimal with 23.18 as the size.

I still got the conversion message, but it seems the entire number came through.

Jasers
6 - Meteoroid

I think that would work.  Thanks!!

jpburrowes
5 - Atom

Thanks for the suggestion to change the data type to fixed decimal RodL. This resolved a problem I was having with a particular longitude value

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels