Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to get excel filename with the data?

HW1
9 - Comet

Hi,

When you use the input data tool for an excel file, you can get the data from a sheet that you select.

Is there any way to get the file name as well for the data in a separate column?

I have a number of excel files connected to a union tool and to investigate the data, I need to know where its coming from hence, I would like to know where that exact row of data is sourced from.

For this, I would require to know the file name for that row.

Is there any way I can get that?

Right now I am not aware if such a functionality exists.

HW1_0-1626062662192.png

Please help.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
KarolinaRoza
11 - Bolide

Hi @HW1 

To achieve this you can Dynamic Input Tool.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Dynamic-Input-Bring-in-Filename/td-p/1...

Regards, Karolina

ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @HW1 

1) Yes, you just need to select this in Options:

ArtApa_0-1626069406898.png

2) If your Excel files of the same schema you may not need a Union tool. You can use either "*" or "?" in your Input data tool to read Excel files in one folder. For example, the below will read all files that start with "Smart_Tile"

ArtApa_1-1626069615909.png

More details are here: https://help.alteryx.com/20212/designer/input-data-tool 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @HW1 

You can configure the "Output filename as field" in the input tool or dynamic input tool to get the filename or fullpath.

atcodedog05_0-1626069753881.png

Edit : Same as above 😅

Hope this helps 🙂

HW1
9 - Comet

@ArtApa @atcodedog05 @KarolinaRoza  Thank you for your replies. I tried them all however I was dealing with xlsm files so the method did not work as the solutions posted above did not bring in sheet name.

The process I followed after going through a couple of examples is to use the directory tool and point the path to a formula tool. Formula tool needs to append the sheet name to the file and then the dynamic input tool. and then your process @ArtApa worked.

Thank you all for your help.

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels