Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to get API to get information from the server

JohnLight
8 - Asteroid

I'm trying to get data from the server using the server api tool, and I'm getting this error (see attachment). The URL I'm using the just the gallery url, and I got the key and secret key from the gallery profile as well, so I don't believe those are the issues. I have the API access permission checked under the gallery profile as well. Any help would be appreciated.

I posted this in the server discussions as well, but there hasn't been a response yet, so I thought I'd try here.

44 REPLIES 44
apathetichell
19 - Altair

Thanks @OllieClarke - haven't used Server in a while...

JohnLight
8 - Asteroid

Okay, I followed these exact steps, verified permissions, and am still getting this 400 error. 

apathetichell
19 - Altair

Hey @JohnLight - does this work in Swagger? Can you add all browse tools and see if anything is showing up? if this is working in Swagger/and you can replicate in Postman -I'd just rebuild it and dump the Alteryx prebuild tools. you can replicate exactly what you are doing in Swagger/Postman in Download tools via the multi step -> get token -> use token process.

JohnLight
8 - Asteroid

How do I do it in Swagger? Do I use the keys for authentication? Once it's authenticated, how do I run the API?

JohnLight
8 - Asteroid

So run this command? In the authorize section, I put the key as the Key, and secret as the Value, and I'm getting this error.

apathetichell
19 - Altair

sorry - I'm sure this is frustrating. so a few things:

1) are you following this exactly? 

1. Select Grant Type to Client Credentials.

2. Set Access Token URL to TOKEN_URL_FOUND_ABOVE.

3. Set Client ID to YOUR_API_ACCESS_KEY.

4. Set Client Secret to YOUR_API_ACCESS_SECRET.

5. Set Client Authentication to Send as Basic Auth header.

6. Select the Get New Access Token button.

7. Select Proceed.

8. Select the Use Token button.

see image in the middle of this page:

https://help.alteryx.com/current/en/server/api-overview/alteryx-server-api-v3/how-to-use-postman.htm...

are you spelling Client Credentials exactly as pictured?

JohnLight
8 - Asteroid

It's not letting me import from the URL I got from swagger.

JohnLight
8 - Asteroid

Anyone know why the Swagger URL wouldn't work in Postman?

apathetichell
19 - Altair

Sorry - I could do this pretty quickly via zoom but It's hard to troubleshoot here. @fmvizcaino - any quick tips here? basic how to get collections turning into a how to sync swagger to postman conversation.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

It seems everything is configured correctly. The only remaining step to check is to access your Alteryx Server System Settings and check if the API URL is correctly configured.

https://help.alteryx.com/current/en/server/api-overview/alteryx-server-api-v3/server-api-configurati...

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels