Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to force a type but leave byte size unfixed?

Joshman108
8 - Asteroid

The post title and workflow comments describe the situation exactly. 

The fact that forcing a data type locks in the byte size, regardless of whether there is an autofield, is ridiculous and causing a lot of problems for me.

I NEED the data type to be forced, otherwise auto field mucks it up. But I need the byte size to be dynamically set (minimized via autofield) for each field on each run of the workflow for optimization.

How do I do this?

EDIT:

furthermore, it is NOT warning about data truncation. Why is this? I've just spent days uploading millions of records to a table... now I see I could easily have tons of truncations without even getting a warning?? Why??

Joshman108_1-1625583714030.png

3 REPLIES 3
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Joshman108 

You can try and change the sequence. First use select tool and force datatype but give very large size so that can accommodate big string. Use auto-field after on the required field to reduce the string variable size.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1625587692177.png

Hope this helps 🙂

Joshman108
8 - Asteroid

I actually accepted this too soon, this does not fully solve the issue.

My data has different qualities from these examples namely, I have string fields that look like numbers. In your example, autofield will still obliterate the field type if it thinks it's a number, regardless of whether the upstream select specifies string: forced.

Unfortunately my data must remain this way.

So still unresolved but.... I think we're going to use a different tool for this.

Very frustrating though.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Joshman108 

Here is what you can do. To prevent string to be converted to number lets append "#" (could be any character) before sending it into autofield and remove it later wards. We can append "#" on multiple columns using multi-field formula tool.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1625588888238.png

1. using select tool to force type and give large size

2. using multi-field formula filed to append "#" for all string fields at the beginning.

3. using autofield to minimize size. Since "#" is appended it wont be converted to numbers.

4. using multi-field formula to remove beginning "#" and getting it back to normal.

Hope this helps 🙂

Labels