Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to filter multiple entries in a col of a excel sheet dynamically

Asad1
6 - Meteoroid

I have a excel sheet where I have multiple entries in col1 and 2, where col 1 has the name of the people and col 2 has their respective time spent in a day, for example:

Col 1     Col 2

B1         2hr

B1         2hr

B1         2hr

C1         3hr

C1         4hr

C1         4hr

So, what I want to do is that for B1 and C1 I want to check their respective total time so in B1 the total time is 6hr where as for C1 it is 11hr. My threshold for the time is 9hr, so if the time is above 9hr I do not want to consider that person, so in this case C1 would be discarded and in the next step I only want to consider B1.

Please be mindful that there can be multiple different entries for example B1, C1, D1, E1 … so on and I need to check for each and filter accordingly. Also remember that I do not think that using a filter tool would be a good idea as there might be a lot of entries so is there a dynamic way, I could do the filtering for all the entries altogether? Maybe formula tool?

5 REPLIES 5
Dev73
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Asad1 , 

here is one solution for your problem .

filter multiple.jpg

Asad1
6 - Meteoroid

Hello @Dev73 ,

Thank you for your solution. But could you please explain that what is the Formula and Select tool doing exactly in your workflow?

I look forward to your reply.

Thank you.

flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @Asad1 

Like this ?

录制_2024_04_08_10_24_33_506.gif

Dev73
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Asad1 ,

in formula tool I'm selecting only number from Col2 field then in the  select tool I'm changing data type of Col2 field from string to integer format so i can sum the hour using summarize tool.

Asad1
6 - Meteoroid

Hello @Dev73 

Now I would like to do something similar here:

I have a excel sheet where I have 3 cols. The first col is the name, second is hours and third is date.

Col1      Col2       Col3

A            2hr        1feb

B            4hr        1feb

C            3hr        1feb

D            2hr        1feb

A            3hr        2feb

B            2hr        2feb

D            3hr        2feb

A            2hr        2feb

C            3hr        2feb

Now I want to filter this excel sheet based on the date and hour. So, I want to check that if a person exceeds 10hrs in a week (e.g. from 1-7feb, 8-14feb….). Please be mindful that the date is already in date format so no need to format that.

Could you please help me here with a similar workflow you provided before.
Labels