Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to do multiple lookup from values in 1 column to another?

USER132991
5 - Atom

Hi Team,

I am new to Alteryx and currently working on a problem that I am not able to find a solution to. So the problem is like this:

Table 1:

A large dataset with millions of rows having the below columns of interest:

IDManufacturer
1x-13_ManufacturerA_255
2Z-24_ManufacturerB_55
342_ManufacturerC
410_ManufacturerD
5ManufacturerA
6ManufacturerB

Table 2: It is an input table wherein I would put the list of Manufacturers for which I need the data from Table 1:

Manufacturer
ManufacturerA
ManufacturerB
ManufacturerC
ManufacturerD

I need the final output like this.

IDManufacturer
1ManufacturerA
2ManufacturerB
3ManufacturerC
4ManufacturerD
5ManufacturerA
6ManufacturerB

So the heart of the problem is: Table 1 is a very large dataset having a column of Manufacturer name. Now, this column was filled manually and thus have random extra characters leading or trailing. I want to get the data filtered from Table 1 for the n number of Manufacturers which I can insert in the input file Table 2. Had there been only 1 manufacturer data I needed then I would have simply applied "Contains" formula to create a flag. But here there are multiple manufacturers needed. 

Please let me know the solution for this. I tried some but as the table is big it would become very heavy to run.

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @USER132991 
This is a great usecase for the find and replace tool. If you set it up as so (in append mode)

OllieClarke_0-1599128545697.png

Then drop the original manufacturer column, and rename manufacturer2

OllieClarke_1-1599128581588.png

You should have what you need.

Hope that helps,

Ollie

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @USER132991 , i guess find and replace tool will be the best approach to use in such use case.

Please refer to the workflow and screenshot.

grazitti_sapna_0-1599128774352.png

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

Sapna Gupta
USER132991
5 - Atom

Thank you, Ollie. Let me try that with my whole dataset. This should work! 🙂

Labels