Announcement | We'll be doing maintenance between 2-3 hours, which may impact your experience. Thanks for your patience as we work on improving the community!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to combine 2 columns into one

Jay2022
8 - Asteroid

hello,

I have this flow were I need 2 columns to become one. I'm not sure which tool to bring in to do so for me.

thank you

5 REPLIES 5
DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @Jay2022, for this you can just bring a Formula tool onto the canvas and use an expression like:

[Field1]+[Field2]

If they’re different data types then you may need to wrap them in certain functions or use a select tool beforehand and if you want spaces or punctuation between them then you’ll need to use something like [Field1]+” “+[Field2] but let us know. Hope this helps!

Jay2022
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @DataNath  but I forgot to mention that I need each data to be its own row. They are the same data type so I need 2 columns to come out as one. Example if  I have 5 rows in column 1 and 10 in column 2 I need column 3 to have 15 rows.

vlad_kutateladze
8 - Asteroid

@Jay2022 You can just use the Transpose tool in this case. 

vlad_kutateladze_0-1664907353415.png

vlad_kutateladze_0-1664907244169.png

Jay2022
8 - Asteroid

@vlad_kutateladze  that works for me! thank you!

juan1
7 - Meteor

Hello @Jay2022 ,

The solution by @vlad_kutateladze works well, but here is another way to solve this. 

Do 

[Field 1] + "," + [Field 2]

Then use "Text to columns" --> split to rows. Filter out empty rows.

juan1_1-1664908045845.png

Hope this helps!

Labels