Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to avoid Data Truncation

nimit_b19
7 - Meteor

I have data coming in through an API in JSON format. I want to store this data in a SQL server in a crosstab format.

Following is the flow I have created to achieve this:

a1.png

I am able to successfully write the data in the required format to the SQL Tables.

However, some of the data is getting truncated in the process.

I have a field called 'Time Left' which ideally should be in seconds (float) format but the API is sending it in " xx Hours yy Minutes zz Seconds " format. I tried to change this to float, I get only the first number and the rest of the data is lost. I tried converting it to date time and still did not get the desired output.

This is what the API is sending:

a2.png

This is what happens after 'Select' tool:

a3.png

Is there a way I can convert the incoming data to seconds in Alteryx and store it in float format?

13 REPLIES 13
grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @nimit_b19 ,

I guess you need to apply formula to convert hours and minutes into seconds first.

Sapna Gupta
nimit_b19
7 - Meteor

Yes, the initial type is String but I want to convert it to seconds (float) to later process the data in Tableau.

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @nimit_b19 ,

Please find the solution.

Thanks.

EDIT: this workflow is for date format like 3 Hours and 45 Minutes in other case we need to parse the digits from the string and then calculate them with the formula mentioned in the workflow.

Sapna Gupta
nimit_b19
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the solution! However, I'm not able to open this in my copy of Alteryx since you're on a newer version than me. I can't update since I'm on an Enterprise license.

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@nimit_b19  no problem I will attach the image of the workflow along with this post.timeleft.PNG

Sapna Gupta
nimit_b19
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the screenshot!

Can you possibly also paste the screenshots for each configuration?

Many thanks in advance.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @nimit_b19 

You can change the version @grazitti_sapna's  workflow by opening the .yxmd in notepad and changing the 2019.2 in second line to match which ever version of alteryx you're using.  Look in Help->About to find your version

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<AlteryxDocument yxmdVer="2019.2">

Dan

nimit_b19
7 - Meteor

Hi Dan,

I tried what you suggested but this is what I see when I open the file using notepad:

a4.png

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

hi @nimit_b19 

You opened the .yxzp package which is renamed zip file.  Find the timeleft.yxmd workflow that was extracted.  It should be in a subdirectory call "timeleft" 

Dan

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels