Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to Ignore Certain Rows of Excel Input File

shaheer
8 - Asteroid

I have data in a file that looks similar to this:

Company NameApple   
Total Employees100   
Compensation    

NameAgeHoursManager1Manager2
James2040AnnieJack
John2540KuldeepJack
Amy2240ArthurAlbert

I want to use the select tool to grab the following columns: Name, Hours, Manager1. However, when I try to use the tool, these headers do not show up and instead I see F1, F2, F3 etc. I want to ignore rows 1-5 and only use data from row 6 onwards, 

I have tried using the "Start Data Import on Line 6" feature in the Input Data tool, but that only worked for a smaller sample size I was testing with. It disappears when I use the larger file I want to work with. 

shaheer_1-1664894572013.png

22 REPLIES 22
shaheer
8 - Asteroid

It's in my downloads folder but I am unable to open it, possibly because I have an earlier version of alteryx? It also says it is a package, and when I move forward in the steps for opening it, it gives me the error I showed.

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@shaheer Can you share your input file settings

shaheer
8 - Asteroid

shaheer_0-1664896527618.png

Are these the settings you are looking for? I am new to alteryx sorry.

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@shaheer Attaching another option

binuacs_0-1664896938499.png

Emmanuel_G
13 - Pulsar

@shaheer 

In attachement a way of doing that if you don't have option in input tool.

Emmanuel_G_0-1664897250156.png

shaheer
8 - Asteroid

It doesn't seem to change anything. 

shaheer_0-1664897229987.png

Even with this tool, the headers appear in the select tool as shown above, rather than their actual names such as Name, Age, etc. 

shaheer
8 - Asteroid

I'd previously tried this, didn't work either. I am going to try starting from scratch again, but this time start with the actual file I want to work with and not the sample size.

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@shaheer what is your alteryx version?

shaheer
8 - Asteroid

@Emmanuel_G @binuacs So I've started from scratch, and now the option to start the Data Input from line _ is available again. I am going to continue and update you guys soon. 

shaheer
8 - Asteroid

2021.2 x64

Labels