Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Highlighting Cells If Contains Alphabets

ajaydhamrait
7 - Meteor

Hi,

If a field (in my example it is 'Inception') containing numeric values has a letter somewhere in the value, is it possible to highlight the output cell Yellow?  Currently, I have done this but no luck. 

ajaydhamrait_0-1652092307611.png

ajaydhamrait_1-1652092333473.png

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
DataNath
17 - Castor

I think the following should do the trick:

REGEX_CountMatches([Inception], "[\D]") > 0

This will highlight everything with at least one instance of something that isn't a number in the field. If you need it to be specific to letters then you could use:

REGEX_CountMatches([Inception], "[a-zA-Z]") > 0

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@ajaydhamrait one way of dong this with the help of the RegeEx formula

binuacs_0-1652095095518.png

ajaydhamrait
7 - Meteor

That's amazing, what about the other way round? So if a field containing letters has a number somewhere in the value

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@ajaydhamrait The same formula should work in either case

binuacs_0-1652099847498.png

DataNath
17 - Castor

In the formula I provided previously, the \D capitalised indicates a non-number, so if you want to find where there ARE numbers, simply use the lowercase equivalent I.e. \d, which indicates the presence of a number in the field.

ajaydhamrait
7 - Meteor

This is all great! However, I have blank cells in my data that will need to stay there but I don't want these highlighted Yellow (with the above formulas, they highlight them). Is there a way to not highlight blank cells? 

DataNath
17 - Castor

If you want to leave empty cells out of the highlight then should just be able to add the following to your highlight condition:

AND !IsEmpty([Field Name])

Labels