Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Help on Regex

JokeFun
8 - Asteroid

Hi all, I have a list of data with sample like "<c r="A4" s="1" t="e"><f>- Of which: other</f><v>#NAME?</v></c>"

I need to extract the part "Of which: other" only. How to use regex for this purpose? It is fine if other tools to be used.

thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @JokeFun 

(?<=\<f>-).+?(?=<\/f>\<v>)

flying008_0-1680838296835.png

JokeFun
8 - Asteroid

Hi @flying008 , Thanks, but this expression does not work with the RegEx tool. I think it needs to be modified somewhat.

martinding
13 - Pulsar

Hi @JokeFun 

You could try the following:

martinding_0-1680839119523.png

*OOPS, I've left the "-" in the bracket. You can simply move this out , to the left of the bracket: <f>-(.*?)<\/f>

JokeFun
8 - Asteroid

Hi @martinding , Thanks! This works. Just would like to know what does the \ mean in this part <\/f>? What if just put </f>

martinding
13 - Pulsar

Hi @JokeFun,

The backslash "\" is known as an escape, and the forward slash is often a special character in RegEx.

In order for RegEx to process / literally, it needs to be escaped, so I included "\" just in case.

Now, I tried excluding "\" just now, and the code still seems to work as expected. There are many variations of RegEx and it seems that / is not taken as a special character in Alteryx.

JokeFun
8 - Asteroid

Got it! Thanks for the reply. @martinding 

Labels