Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

HOW: Gallery workflow to send email with excel output attached

PeterHlavacs
5 - Atom

Hi,

I have been working on a workflow that would send to specific requestors their share of an excel report.

As of now how my workflow works:

1. Use table tool and group data by requestor email.

2. Use email tool and and insert the Table output in the body.

This way all requestors get their share, however for some people this means an email with over 700 rows, which is obviously not good.

I don't know how to simply attach the Table output as excel attachments - I cannot use a "path" dependent option as this workflow needs to work in the Gallery.

(In General, I don't understand why the render tool or output tool cannot be directly connected to the email tool)

Thank you,

Peter

13 REPLIES 13
premumesh
5 - Atom

Thank you for the quick response. I did try doing that, here is a snapshot of my workflow, i am still not getting to continuously append. I am doing this from gallery, my assumption is that after each run, the final output excel file gets autosaved and will be used to read the next time I run. but that is not happening.

premumesh_0-1585060503451.png

afinzerillo
8 - Asteroid

What's the configuration of the Output Data tool?  Is the Excel file on a network share somewhere?  That's the only place I see where anything would go wrong.  It looks like you should be appending the SQL pull to the Excel file just fine.

premumesh
5 - Atom

premumesh_0-1585061257656.png

premumesh_1-1585061317295.png

This is the configuration for the read and write excels

afinzerillo
8 - Asteroid

Maybe someone with more expereicne with Gallery can opine.  But, I've always had issues with my input/output when they have _externals/1/ as the path.  I have always made sure the files (assets) are written/read from a network share using the full UNC path and NOT a mapped drive reference.

Open the workflow in designer.  Change the path for the file to the full UNC path of the folder location.  You can do this by clickint OPTIONS->ADVANCED OPTIONS->WORKFLOW DEPENDENCIES... then click ALL UNC in the dialogue.

When you upload to the server, click WORKFLOW OPTIONS->MANAGE ASSETS... then de-select the file.  This way the file isn't embedded in the workflow you upload, but rather it will be read from and written to during run time.  

I can't explain why, but it seems when the file is included in the uploaded package the workflow doesn't read/write to it as expected.

Labels