Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Generating records based on multi-field criteria

bpatel1
7 - Meteor

Hi, 

I have 3 fields with Manager’s names (fields 1-3)
Fields (4 - 6) are showing if they are national or regional managers

Based on these information, I have to create separate records for each if the names are different

For example – Aaron Poentis name as BD1 and BD2 (same) will generate 1 record but  

Aaron Poentis and Kristy Kelto will generate 2 records because they are (different)
Same logic with BD1, BD2 and BD3s (if they are all different names then 3 records, if they are the same then 2 records and so forth)

The last field shows manually generated but I need alteryx to calculate for me in the workflow

I appreciate your help. 

Thanks in advance. 

4 REPLIES 4
apathetichell
19 - Altair

Hi!,

I'm not exactly following what you want for your end output. Here's my question - in your example row 1 generates 1 row and row 2 generates distinct rows... but here's my confusion the output looking at row 1 and 2 would be something like:

1. Aaron Poentis

2. Aaron Poentis

2. Kristy Kelto

Is that what you want or do you want just a set of all o the unique managers. If its the former (and there's additional data on each row) you can use a strategy like the one I've attached. Note - I can't quite see how it's that useful, but it could tie into a larger data set you have. I don't think this is what you want though.

Note - if you just want to generate the number of rows for the number of distinct names (ie the value in your last column) you can use generate rows with that variable in the condition field. I believe in my workflow I used that logic on my generate rows tool so perhaps you can  adjust it.

Hope this helps?!??!

bpatel1
7 - Meteor

Thanks for your help. 

However, the last field (No_of_records) is manually generated field and I want to create that same field in Alteryx applying that same logic that I've mentioned in the description. Also, there are null values in row # 19. I want "Kristy Kleto" populated in that BD cell.  

Basically, if there are 3 separate names in first 3 columns, then generate 3 rows with each BD names. 

Hope this helps. 

apathetichell
19 - Altair

This fixes that error and dynamically counts the number of non-null BDs in each record.

apathetichell
19 - Altair

One quick warning - I made that solution in a hurry and used a workaround that might not work if there is a null() in BD1 but not null()s in BD2 and/or BD3. I'm trying to make a final version which fixes that.

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels