Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Fuzzy Match but for Column Headers w/o replacing Spaces & Special Characters w/ underscore

cain_m
6 - Meteoroid

Hello, 

I need to make column headers in my table match another tables column headers.

There are about 98 column headers that I need to match in order to join the tables correctly. 

Because I will need to do this process about 30 times, I want to automate the column header name change as much as possible. 

I've first tried creating a "column name source," transposing the table, fuzzy match both correct column names with the other column names, then cross tab. However, this removes special characters and spaces from the headers, replacing them with underscores. 

This is not good because it prevents me from uploading the table to my database. 

Before, this process included hours of manual data entry. I'm trying to blow the minds of my managers by improving their archaic practices. 😉 

I've attached a couple of files:

- Attributes list includes the correct column names in the right order 

- ColumnsNamesTest is a sample of the data in the template "master file" 

- 3324Y_2021_National-sample is the new file that contains data I need to update the master file with 

3 REPLIES 3
Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@cain_m 
The naming issue of cross tab happens to me also.
Usually I use Dynamic Rename to fix it with simple Replace Function.
However it is more complicated in your case.

0305-cain_m.PNG

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

hi @cain_m 

Have you tried the Dynamic Rename Setting using "Take Field Names from Right Input Rows". This way, the special characters and spaces are not replaced by underscores.

Dawn.

PreserveDynamicRenameColumnFormat.PNG

cain_m
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you both for responses, but this is not exactly what I'm looking for. 

I'll try to explain in a different way. 

I need to insert the data from the attached file "Additional.xlsx" into the file "Into.xlsx" 

The "Into" file has more columns that the "Additional" file, and I want those columns to still be included. Also, many of the column names in "Into" are different from the column names in "Additional." I need the column names from "Into" to match the column names from "Additional." 

I need to do this several times so manually adding columns and changing column names with Select tool is not ideal. 

Thanks 

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels