Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Formula does not work as anticpated

MikeFrancis1959
8 - Asteroid

I have a formula called "test" that looks at date columns and it works except the last part where I think I am telling it if there is no date in column "2nd GI" "Plan 4/7" or "Plan 4/11" to use the [PO Due Date] since there is a date there but it comes back blank, what do I need to look for to correct this.

IF !IsEmpty([2nd GI]) 

THEN [2nd GI]

ELSEIF

IsEmpty([4/11 Plan])

THEN [4/7 Plan]

ELSE [PO Due Date]

ENDIF

Due Date 1st GI 2nd GI 4/7 Plan 4/11 Plan test
3/31/2023
3/24/2023
3/30/2023
3/8/2023
3/14/2023

Thanks,

Mike

8 REPLIES 8
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Should it be "!IsEmpty([4/11 Plan])" , (i.e. chuck in an exclamation mark at the front of your second clause)?

IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @MikeFrancis1959, think you are missing a ! on the isEmpty also not sure why 4/11 is not used. I would have thought the formula should be:

IF !IsEmpty([2nd GI]) THEN [2nd GI]
ELSEIF !IsEmpty([4/11 Plan]) THEN [4/11 Plan]
ELSEIF !IsEmpty([4/7 Plan]) THEN [4/7 Plan]
ELSE [PO Due Date]
ENDIF

All the best,

Ira

cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

It sounds like more is needed to the formula if you are checking that all 3 fields are empty.

IF !IsEmpty([2nd GI]) Then [2nd GI]
ElseIF !IsEmpty([4/11 Plan]) Then [4/11 Plan]
ElseIF !IsEmpty([4/7 Plan]) Then [4/7 Plan]
Else [PO Due Date]
EndIF
MikeFrancis1959
8 - Asteroid

yes you are right

MikeFrancis1959
8 - Asteroid

If I did not have the support of the members on this forum I would be lost! I have only been a user for about 3 months and I keep every formula in a file so I can reference back to the structure of it and also to take the time to break it down to understand the flow. 

MikeFrancis1959
8 - Asteroid

I have one last question, instead of always looking at a column like my example of 4/7 PLAN or 4/11 PLAN, the title will change but it will always be in the same position of my excel file, what tool is the best to help identify it like field 36 & field 37 so I dont have to worry about the name change?

Mike

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@MikeFrancis1959 One option is to use the dynamic select tool - in which you can use the formula  ([FieldNumber] =36) OR FieldNumber] =37) for selecting the fields based on positions

MikeFrancis1959
8 - Asteroid

I will try this tool!

Mike

Labels