Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
GELÖST

Formula (conditional statement) - Trying to recreate a SQL case statement

jmorris14
Meteoroid

Hello,

I am new to Alteryx. I am trying to recreate a formula that I built in SQL within Alteryx and it is proving to be quite difficult. Here is what I have built;

IF [Contract_Status]= "Accepted"

AND [product_id]= 153 OR [product_id]=155 OR [product_id]=157
AND [date_paid]>=2017-08-01 AND [date_paid]<=2017-12-31
THEN "Non-Renewal"
ELSE "Other"
ENDIF

When I run it I get the error "The field " " is not contained in the record. (Expression #1)"

Essentially what I am trying to say is if contract_status=accepted AND if product_id CONTAINS either  153 or 155 or 157 AND the date_paid falls in that range then call is "Non-Renewal"

What do I need to do differently?

3 ANTWORTEN 3
danrh
Pulsar

All you need to do is give your field a name.  Click on the "Select Column" dropdown, select "+ Add Column" and type in the name of the calculated field.  This should take care of your error for you.

On a side note, I'd advise changing the or's to an in statement or wrapping them with parentheses to make sure the logic is what you're intending.

Welcome to Alteryx!

jmorris14
Meteoroid

Awesome! Thanks!

jmorris14
Meteoroid

That was really helpful. However, I am running into a few more issues. What I was trying to accomplish was use the formula in replacement of a Case statement inside a select statement (see below). This has really be challenging. It is doing a one to many join in alteryx whereas in sql the case statement acted more as a filter within a select statement which eliminated the one to many issue. 

Here is the complex query I am trying to recreate:

SELECT organization.id
, organization.name
, organization.attendance_weekly
, organization.date_next_renewal
, organization.date_official_start
, (CASE

WHEN (part 1 formula) 
THEN "Non-Renewal"

WHEN (part 2 formula)
THEN "Renewal"

WHEN (part 3 formula)
THEN 'New Church in 2016/2017'

END) AS "renewal_status" 

FROM organization 
WHERE date_next_renewal >='2017-01-01' AND date_next_renewal <='2018-12-31' AND fake_church !=1
;

Attached is the flow I have created within alteryx. It obviously isn't correct.

Any ideas on how to make this formula live within a select statement in sql?

Beschriftungen