Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Formula Tool -- New Column -- Parse Error

maurrreen
7 - Meteor

I am using the formula tool to add a new column, sd_new.

My formula tool is giving me the error “Parse error at char (0): Empty expression (Expression #2)”.

Also, it gives no output when I run the workflow.

Here is the configuration.

maurrreen_0-1643404971267.png

Below is the model I am using (although the hd_new and sd_new are reversed; that is OK).

maurrreen_1-1643405020439.png

6 REPLIES 6
randreag
11 - Bolide

hi @maurrreen 

Both fields are string? hd_new y sd_new

maurrreen
7 - Meteor

Yes, both hd_new and sd_new are strings.

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

On the second screen shot the field sd_new already exists and there is a value on the data preview. Please share the exact configuration you have on the expression that is giving you the error.

Are you trying to insert a PadLeft on which field in order to create the sd_new? You cannot have the field being referenced on the expression if you are creating that field, if that is what you have there. 

maurrreen
7 - Meteor

Yes, the sd_new and hd_new are reversed between the model and what I am trying to do.

The model starts with sd_new and adds hd_new. I start with hd_new and add sd_new. That is not the problem.

Immediately below is the configuration that is giving me the error.

maurrreen_1-1643411055363.png

I think at least part of the problem is where it says “Null” in the configuration immediately above. In the model it says “001”. But I don’t know how to change that.

I don’t think the PadLeft is the problem. The new field I am trying to make is the sd_new, which is different from the hd_new in the expression.

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

What is the expression you have on the sd_new? You can open multiple formulas if you click on the left arrow.

gabrielvilella_0-1643411475936.png

maurrreen
7 - Meteor

I fixed it! I made sd_new equal to hd_new.

I have been using Alteryx for only about a week.

Thanks for your help!

Labels