Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Find & Replace / Join Tool : can't replace data because of different fields

Victouf
7 - Meteor

Hi everybody,

I have to translate the data of a field. I have a translation dataset that I use. I tried using Find & Replace but since the field where it looks for the information is not the same as the one I need to translate it doesn't work. Basically it looks by the field "Base" so it replaces in the output field "Base" but I need to replace in the field "Description"

So I came up with another solution but I am wondering if there is a nicer way to do it. Basically I use a Join tool to add a column with all the translation it finds, use a formula tool to add a column to the output dataset where it didn't find a translation and then a union tool to put it all back together.

Let me know what you think,

Best

5 REPLIES 5
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Victouf 

Seems like you have attached files of previous questions 😅

Victouf
7 - Meteor

Yes because it is the same workflow but a different issue and I didn't want to mix both 😅

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Victouf 

I think i got your question you are speaking about the highlighted formula part.

atcodedog05_0-1629997982672.png

Nope sadly what you are speaking is not possible. What you have done is the right approach. Thats the only way it can be done.

Hope this helps : )

iCFO
9 - Comet

I built an iterative version of the find and replace tool that can achieve this as well if you use a custom formula option to compare the 2 different fields. I wouldn’t recommend the approach unless you wanted to build a user friendly excel controller or something.

iCFO
9 - Comet

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Dynamic-Replace-Tool-unmatched-fields-...

Here is a link to my iterative find and replace in case you are interested.

Labels