Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Filtering using wildcards

Carolina18
5 - Atom

Hi everyone! I hope someone could help me...´cause I´m not finding the solution 😞

I want to filter the attached file in order to split the rows as follow:

a) Rows with DK (column C) that response to the follow pattern Z*Z*, Z*Y*, Z*W*, Z*X*

b) Rows with DK (column C) that don´t  response to the previous pattern (Z*Z*, Z*Y*, Z*W*, Z*X*)

I hope my explanation was clear enough for you to help me 🙂
Thank you so much in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Carolina18 

Regex_match can help you. Here's an example:

REGEX_Match([DK], 'Z.Z.|Z.Y.|Z.W.|Z.X.')

This formula looks for the patterns you specified. A period represents any single character. The pipe represents 'OR'. 

Luke_C_0-1636636360897.png

isabella_cheung
5 - Atom

Update: solved: used Replace() instead of REGEX_replace()

Hi @Luke_C

I am running into a problem stemming from what you just described. I am building out an analytical app where the app cleans up an excel file that the user submits by removing a phrase that the user specifies. Say the submitted file is below: 

column 1column2
abc.123jobrole
123abcrolejob
abc123job.role
ab123cjob_role
1a2bc3_rolejob

And the user wants to remove the phrase ".role" from column 2. What I do is I pass the user input into a REGEX_Replace([USER_SPECIFIED_COLUMN_NAME], "USER_SEPCIFIED_VALUE", "") So with the user inputs from this example that becomes REGEX_REPLACE([column2, ".role", "") and this is the output 

column 1column2New
abc.123jobrolejo
123abcrolejobrolejob
abc123job.rolejob
ab123cjob_rolejob
1a2bc3_rolejobjob

This is happening due to the period being read as a single character wildcard. The desired outcome is below: 

column 1column2New
abc.123jobrolejobrole
123abcrolejobrolejob
abc123job.rolejob
ab123cjob_rolejob_role
1a2bc3_rolejob_rolejob

Is there a workaround to this you know of so that the period is not read as a single character wildcard? Thank you in advance!

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @isabella_cheung 

Try this:

REGEX_REPLACE([column2], "\.role", "")

The \ acts as an escape character to indicate that the formula should treat the period as a literal period rather than a character in the regex syntax

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels