Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Filter only for last 3 weeks

sanastasova
7 - Meteor

Hello, 

I want to create a formula that filters data from column only for the last three weeks. For example we are week 15, I want 15,14and 13. If we are week 16 I would want 16,15,14. How does Alteryx recognizes which is the current week for this column?

Here is a screenshot of what the column looks like.

sanastasova_0-1648826107425.png

Thanks for the help.

9 REPLIES 9
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @sanastasova ,

to identify the current week, you need to DateTime functions:
- DateTimeToday find the current day
- DateTimeFormat returns the week number

But: In addition it may be necessary to adjust the week number, because the number returned starts at "0". If the current year starts with a day between Monday - Thursday, the first week "counts" for the year, you have to add 1.

After finding the current week, a Filter tool does the week selection.

2022-04-01_17-51-33.jpg2022-04-01_17-55-55.jpg

Let me know if it works for you.

Best,

Roland

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @sanastasova 

You should be able to use DateTimeFormat([date/time], "%U") which will return the week number as 00 – 53, with the beginning of weeks as Sunday. Alternatively you can use "%u" which starts the week on a Monday

sanastasova
7 - Meteor

Hi Roland, 

Is there a way I can just create a dropdown filter to choose which week I want. Like for example before I run the workflow just to select the 3 weeks I need. I think it would be more simple that way. 

Thanks!

Best, 

Simona

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

hi @sanastasova 

Here's a simple example using a Numeric Up-Down interface tool.  The Action tool replace both "10"s in the filter expression with the user selected value

danilang_0-1648997156512.png

To learn more about the Interface tools, check out the Creating Analytic Apps Interactive training

Dan

Akash__on
8 - Asteroid

Use Sort tool (Descending) and then use sample tool (top 3) Done!! Dynamically always last 3 selected.

Mark as solution, if this helped.

Cheers

Aakash.

sanastasova
7 - Meteor

Akash,

Could you please create a workflow to demonstrate? Because when I select your options I still don't get the right data. 

Thanks!

Akash__on
8 - Asteroid

Try this,

Mark as solution, if this helped.

Cheers

Aakash.

sanastasova
7 - Meteor

The problem is that my database contains a lot of rows with repeating weeks and if I do "First 3" it gets me only three rows. See example from excel;

TeePee
8 - Asteroid

I don't know if you still need help with this, but I would do it this way:

1) Add a Summarise tool to find "Max" of "Week"

2) Insert an "Append" tool: connect the main workflow to the "Target" input of the Append tool and the Summarise tool output to the "Source" input of the Append tool.  This will add a "Max_Week" column which adds the "Max_Week" value to every row.

3) Now insert your formula tool referencing the max week column eg to limit to the past 3 weeks you could do [Week] <=([Max_Week]-2) (NB, if you are using actual dates rather than simple week numbers, you'd need to use the DateTimeDiff formula instead of the subtraction)

Labels