Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filter for multiple values, Analytic App

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to incorporate filtering for multiple values in my analytic app filter tool.

Is it possible to filter for multi values ie  Toronto|New York|Miami ?

12 REPLIES 12
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@wonka1234 you need to add the list box for multiple selections and filter the city. The below post might be helpful for your use case

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/How-to-Allow-Dynamic-Multi-select-on-a...

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Hi @wonka1234 

You can use a List Box tool which will allow the user to select multiple values and have the output generate a custom list similarly to concatenating string in a Summarize tool.

Set up your Filter tool to use the IN operator  and then have your action tool update the values to include. Attached is an updated version of your workflow with that setup.

jrgo_0-1679695600227.png

This option wouldn't be compatible with the other user definable options you configured so you'd have to find how to fit this logic into the mix.

Hope this helps!

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

@jrgo   only issue with this is that the values are static. I would need them dynamic dependent on the input file.

Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

@wonka1234 , 

If you mean by 'dynamic' to change the list of options according to your selection, I would use "Chain App" technique.

You may find this weekly challenge applicable to your use case : Challenge #175: Tire Size Calculator

Good luck.

Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

@wonka1234 ,

I made a sample Chained App to let the user choose columns to filter and prepare the list box according to the selected column.

It still needs some enhancements to make it fully "dynamic" (e.g. now it only supports strings, not numbers).

While I believe they are doable and may become a good exercise for making Apps,

it would take more effort to implement this kind of interactive operation on Alteryx than Tableau.

Good luck.

Step 1: Prep list

Yoshiro_Fujimori_0-1679818067564.png

Step 2: Select Column to Filter

Yoshiro_Fujimori_1-1679818104822.png

Step 3: Filter

Yoshiro_Fujimori_2-1679818135336.png

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

@Yoshiro_Fujimori   thanks! how about a non chained app with a text input for the user? Ie  Filter Value 1 | Filter Value 2   ,etc

BS_THE_ANALYST
14 - Magnetar

@wonka1234 I'm pretty sure I solved something earlier and did what you want now:

In Field 1 I have various locations:

BS_THE_ANALYST_0-1679853166712.png

I want user to be able to filter on multiple, let's say New York and Place1:

BS_THE_ANALYST_1-1679853207880.png

Success!

BS_THE_ANALYST_2-1679853225037.png

Just change this part for your case:

BS_THE_ANALYST_3-1679853357978.png

All the best,

BS

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

@BS_THE_ANALYST  interesting.. but what if you dont know what column to filter on? It looks like this will only work if your filtes for a City column. What if there a column for Names that a user wantts to filter on

BS_THE_ANALYST
14 - Magnetar

Ah, this would probably be where chained apps would kick in. The column selection would impact what values the user would see for their filtering choice, hence needing the output of one as the input of the other. 

If they don't have the choice of the column selection to filter on, then this is one way to execute the filtering dynamically. 

Labels