Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filling in missing information based on duplicate records within a column

eleee3
8 - Asteroid

Hi there,

I would like to fill in missing information based on duplicate records with complete information. An example of how my database looks is:

Wine TypeColour
Cabernet SauvignonRed
MerlotRed
Cabernet SauvignonRed
RosePink
Cabernet Sauvignon 
RieslingWhite
Rose 
Riesling 
Merlot 
Pinot Gris 

I would like Alteryx to identify the empty cells in the Colour column, check the Wine Type column for duplicates, and if a duplicate exists, to infill the Colour column based on the duplicate with complete information. I would then want Wine Types with no duplicates and/or duplicates with no Colour information to be output separately. The outputs of this function using the above example would therefore be:

Wine TypeColour
Cabernet SauvignonRed
MerlotRed
Cabernet SauvignonRed
RosePink
Cabernet SauvignonRed
RieslingWhite
RosePink
RieslingWhite
MerlotRed
Pinot Gris 

And:

Wine TypeColour
Pinot Gris 

Note that I don't really mind whether Pinot Gris remains in the first output, as I will join the databases via Union at a later stage.

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@eleee3 
We can do it with a Multi-row formula tool with Sorting.

0217-eleee3.PNG

eleee3
8 - Asteroid

Thanks, @Qiu! Is there any way to get the data in the order it was originally in?

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@eleee3 
You should notice that I have put a RecorD ID tool in the beginning of the flow and the Sort tool at the end. 

These two tools will bring the data to their original order.

eleee3
8 - Asteroid

Oh that's great, thanks @Qiu

Labels