Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Extract data/words (varying positions) from long text strings based on other texts

Vv_Falherity
5 - Atom

Hello! 

I must be extremely obtuse because I have far spent too long trying to work this out (from what was seemingly quite a simple issue or so I thought!) using solutions posted for similar queries/regex resources to no avail 😞 Therefore would really appreciate any help I can get please and thank you!!

Essentially this came about because I parsed some PDFs to data to be consumed, so everything has ended up in one string. The stage I'm at now is trying to extract certain words from 1 string following some specific patterns within that string. I think this table below describes my problems better than another paragraph: 

ProblemDescriptionString textDesired result in this example data
1Extract the 2 words after "Actual Requirement" (doesn't change ever) and 2 words (that changes). Note: positions and other terms within the string change and vary but the values of interest I wish to extract are always the 2 words away from "Actual Requirement Amount" in every string.B00B6957764XZ221 Project Tee Actual Requirement Amount as at 12/12/2022 99,509.09 5% buffer | GPX | 112/12/2022 99,509.09 
2Extract the 1 word before "Total Final Value" (Note: position within string changes but the amount of interest always is the word prior to "Total Final Value" text)IDer: GB00B6957764(6,262),GB00B6957764(8,770),GB6957764313(202,300) £338,643.20 £338,643.20 Total Final Value GP7H1£338,643.20

As noted above, there are patterns to these strings with respect to the desired data I wish to extract - thus I have looked into regex (formula, tools, everything). However, for the life of me, I cannot work it out!

I can upload examples of the data like the above to other forms/worksheet or anything else that might it any easier for you to help me. Otherwise I would be extremely grateful for any ideas, many thanks! 

3 REPLIES 3
vsoni
Alteryx
Alteryx

regex is your friend here; you'll want to use Parsing and identifying the bits before / after the types of values you want. 

the attached example will give you want you want.

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@vsoni 's solution looks good for these examples. A more generic solution might be useful. See attached.

PhilipMannering_0-1633336541972.png

Vv_Falherity
5 - Atom

Thank you both!! This community is amazing.  

@vsoni Thank your positing this solution - it is allowing me to close out this immediate issue that has been keeping me from completing a workflow/project (that I've been sitting on for far too long now), so it's been immense help.  

@PhilipMannering Thanks so much for adding to the solution - I've been trying to look at different ways of addressing the general data problems that I encounter so this great resource over the next couple of days as I encounter different but generally similar data issues. Really appreciate it!

Labels