Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Excel to XML

KamenRider
11 - Bolide

Hi guys,

I seeking you assistance if you have any sample how we can convert excel to xml. I tried searching but I can't find one I can understand.

Hoping for your kind assistance on this matter.

thanks,

Kamen

41 REPLIES 41
ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @KamenRider 

If I understand your requirement, are you looking to export the output in .xml format

Many thanks

Shanker V

ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @KamenRider 

Might be the below you are looking for, 

You can open the file in Excel and save as the file as a .XML file. 

Many thanks

Shanker V

KamenRider
11 - Bolide

@ShankerV 

Yes, we would like for alteryx to convert the output to xml in a way we could insert it in a system the read xml.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kamen

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hey @KamenRider 

There is no native out of the box functionality for writing to XML at the moment. There used to be a macro on the Gallery but it seems to have disappeared.

There is an idea raised for this functionality, which has some suggestions in the comments, but you're probably stuck unless you have a go at building a workflow that outputs to XML yourself - https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Native-treatment-of-XML/idi-p/52440

trsali
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@KamenRider I've attached an XML output workflow that was from a previous link https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/XML-Output/565bfd4caa690a12542665e3 , this page cannot be accessed anymore. I have converted it to a standard workflow and you can change the input to a excel input if you'd like. 

Hope this helps.

KamenRider
11 - Bolide

Hi @trsali @DavidSkaife @ShankerV  and guys,

Thanks for the example you have attached however can someone guide me to revising the attached worfkflow to contain the following details and format.

KamenRider_0-1669370616803.png

XML (output)

KamenRider_2-1669371006812.png

Looking forward for your response.

Thanks, 

Kamen

ShankerV
17 - Castor

@KamenRider 

Can you please share the complete .xml in text format.

Many thanks

Shanker V

ShankerV
17 - Castor

@KamenRider 

When you try to input the .XML file back in Alteryx, it will read the file and the inputs will be taken in the tabular format.

ShankerV_0-1669376798820.png

So I wanted to check your input and confirm. Or you can try the same in your system, which will give the output in tabular form.

Use the output tool to save in the .XLSX format.

You can reach your result.

Kindly accept this solution if it provided a solution to your question.

Many thanks

Shanker V

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @KamenRider 

I've got the below output if that's what you're referring to?

DavidSkaife_0-1669379359986.png

I've attached the updated workflow which i got to produce this, i simply copied over your input file into the Text input but it should work with an actual excel file in as well. It will also save the output in the same location that the workflow is saved in.

I tested reading the file generated using Alteryx and it reads it in correctly. Let us know if it's not what you need :)

Labels