Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Excel Date format

V-GEe7
5 - Atom

When I open the Alteryx generated output file on excel from one of my workflows, I get dates as a string. is there anyway I can have the output file in a format where excel can recognize the date as a date?

I did come across a few posts where they mentioned I can delimit and use the date function, but it would be great if I can have the end user get the date directly, rather than doing additional work on a daily basis  

Thanks in advance

V

3 REPLIES 3
LindonB
11 - Bolide

Hi there. One option would be to define a range if possible. In the Output Tool, it will prompt you to specify a sheet and give you the option to specify a range if you're write to Excel. Knowledge of the number of columns (say A:C if you have 3) is required. Then in the configuration, option 6 allows you to "Preserve Formatting on Overwrite (Range Required)." Checking that box means you can write the file, format the field as a Date in Excel, and when new data is written, it should remain as a date.

leefarrell
7 - Meteor

Yes, you can ensure the dates are recognized correctly in Excel by formatting them properly in Alteryx before exporting.

1. DateTime Tool: Use the DateTime Tool to convert your date strings to a date format within Alteryx.

2. Date Format: In the DateTime Tool, specify the format you want (e.g., YYYY-MM-DD).

3. Output File Format: When you export the data, choose a file format that maintains date formats well, like .xlsx.

This should ensure that when you open the file in Excel, the dates are recognized as dates, saving your end users from additional work.

V-GEe7
5 - Atom

Thank you, This worked for me!

Labels