Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Embed Excel file with data in a workflow

GuyMarcel
5 - Atom

I am running a workflow that pulls data from multiple tables in the data warehouse and connect the result to a savings rate excel file on my desktop to calculate the savings. Is there a way i can save or embed permanently that Excel file in the workflow and cut off the connection to my desktop?

Thanks,

Guy

7 REPLIES 7
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

If the Excel file you'd like to embed is small enough (less than 1,000 cells): a Text Input tool can be used for this. The Text Input tool has an Import feature. Click on this icon and browse to your desktop file.

TxtInputBrowse.png

GuyMarcel
5 - Atom

Thank you CharlieS for the swift reply. I will use this going forward for short files. the current one is has 2400 rows. Any other solution for large file?  I am using Tableau server and I can output to that server but can't find a way to input from it.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

It might not be an elegant solution, but you could use multiple Text Input tools and Union them together to re-create that static input.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@CharlieS,

How about having 1 workflow that creates the static input and stores it as a YXDB file (stored where other jobs can access the data) and referencing that static information?  The idea of hard-coding that data into the workflow is going to keep me awake tonight.

Cheers,
Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@MarqueeCrew

I totally agree, especially if there's any need to facilitate the production of that master file. Alteryx all the things!

I should mention that multiple Text Input files are not completely necessary as the 1,000 cell limit is only on the importing of data to the tool. I have text input tools with a lot more than 1,000 cells of data. You have to compile them manually/XML edit, but they save just fine. 

Bigmonki
8 - Asteroid

@CharlieS Brilliant, I have been trying to figure out how to do this for ages. Thanks for the tip

RWvanLeeuwen
11 - Bolide

@GuyMarcel 

I agree with what has been states in this thread previously: with both @CharlieS  on using the text input tool and with @MarqueeCrew on possible nightmare scenarios.

Please consider marking an answer as an accepted solution so others may instantly find the answer upon opening this thread.

Best,

Roland

Infotopics - Benelux partner of the year
Empowering business through analytics. See, Understand, Act!
Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels