Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamically rename the output file using the Render Tool with

r0deo4pple
7 - Meteor

Dear community,

I have got a problem with the render tool.

Just for the background.

I am working on a workflow and there is only one input file with multiple sheets. The dynamic input tool will extract the data from each input sheet. At the end of the workflow, I am using the render tool to have all sheets just in one output file.

The name of the output file should rename dynamically (depends on client information) (e.g. ABC GmbH_2018_May).

Is there a way to read the file name from a column (named 'file name') using the render tool?

Many thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @r0deo4pple, if you select ‘Choose a specific output file’ in output mode, and then specify the location etc with a dummy name there. Then you can go down and select ‘Group data into separate reports’, choosing your ‘File Name’ field as the field to group on and under 'Modify file name by’, select ‘Replacing file name with group’.

DataNath_1-1655712804558.png

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@r0deo4pple 
As suggested by @DataNath , we can specify the path or the file from input.

Below is a quick sample for it.

0620-r0deo4pple.PNG0620-r0deo4pple-1.png

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @r0deo4pple, you can try this. But as per your screenshot you have not given any specific path so the report will be saved to the path where your workflow is saved by default.

grazitti_sapna_0-1655712043979.png

I hope this helps!

Thanks!

Sapna Gupta
r0deo4pple
7 - Meteor

Thank you for your responses so far!

But isn't the group by thing just for separate reports?

I want all the sheets (10 sheets) in one file...

And I don't want to type in the client information manually (e.g. if it is not the 'ABC GmbH' but the 'XYZ AG').

I worked with a dynamic input tool which extracts the client info. It would be really nice if the render tool can read the client info and rename it automatically.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Thank you!

DataNath
17 - Castor

@r0deo4pple the grouping field will create multiple outputs if you have more than one value in that field (i.e. if your data set contains many companies in the 'File Name' field). However, as you are dynamically pulling in just one from your input, there's nothing to split on and so, although the render tool is set up to create multiple outputs if applicable, it will only create one.

r0deo4pple
7 - Meteor

Do I have to add the file name column to every sheet that it will work ?

r0deo4pple_0-1655715654958.png

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@r0deo4pple, while using the dynamic input tool you can bring in the file name which can be further used to group by in your render tool. Render tool will not be able to rename it unless you specify a rule or instead you can use the formula tool where you can specify your condition in if-else and then rename it accordingly if that is what you are trying to achieve?

grazitti_sapna_0-1655716277410.png

Thanks!

Sapna Gupta
DataNath
17 - Castor

Yes @r0deo4pple you can't leave it empty. You can just pull on a Multi-Row Formula - before your Render tool - to fill this 'File Name' all the way down through all of your rows. Configure it like so (example workbook also attached):

Before:

DataNath_0-1655716770135.png

After: 

DataNath_1-1655716783451.png

r0deo4pple
7 - Meteor

Wow, it worked!

Thank you all for you responses.

That was my first question and it was solved just 2 hours later.

This community is crazy!

Labels