Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Download Tool - Questions on Headers

Ikennao
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I am having issues getting data from a URL with the download tool. The url I am trying to pull from encodes the data with gzip if this is requested in the header and should default to utf-8 if nothing is specified.

However, I only specify the content-type in the header and its still return the Download data as gzip not utf-8.

The questions i have are:

1) How does alteryx handle request headers? is it very similar to curl? also am inputting in the headers correctly (do i need speech marks)?

NameValue
content-typeapplication/json

2)The Download header from the download tool, is that the response header from the url?

3) has anyone else encountered an issue similiar to this?

Thanks,

Ikenna 

7 REPLIES 7
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi!

Is it possible to share the details about the API you are specifically trying to access? 

Ben

Ikennao
6 - Meteoroid

Unfortunately not

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Okay, the answer to question 2 is 'Yes'.

What is the response you are getting, is it passing through a http error?

Ben

Ikennao
6 - Meteoroid

I dont get an error per say. But the JSON downloaded in the download data column isnt identified as one by Alteryx JSON Parse function.

When i look into the download headers I can see that the content-encoding is set to gzip and im wondering if that could potentially be the issue

Ikennao
6 - Meteoroid

The issue seems to be as a result of the Alteryx Download tool not working  well with streaming APIs as the content length is not known and the transfer-encoding is set to chunked

Has anyone managed to get the alteryx download tool to work for a streaming api that returns a JSON? Does that json get recognised by the JSON parse?

Does Alteryx support transfer encoding chunked?

Thanks,

Ikenna 

Ikennao
6 - Meteoroid

Turns out Alteryx was picking up the unicode byte order mark but not showing it.

Hence the json parse did not identify the json format

JTMorris
6 - Meteoroid

How did you fix this?

Labels