Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Derive column by copying row values

JDong
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

Please refer to the below sample data :

CountryVehicleTypeEngineSalesSales Final
USACarsSedanEngine1500500
USABusDoubleEngine1700700
GermanyCars7SmallEngine267500
GermanyBus4ThirdEngine233700
KoreaBus2 Engine356500
Korea

Engine372700

I need to derive in a flow the last column. The last column is based on the USA data. We just need to fill in the USA data accordingly for Germany and Korea.

Sometimes the data in Vehicle and Type would be missing, but still the data  is to be derived in last column. Any idea on the logic to be used here.

Please note that my filters would work on the 'Engine' field

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @JDong 

Would something like this work for you?

DavidP_0-1606925626020.png

ehughes
9 - Comet

Hi Gallop,

Are there always two rows for each country? If so, something like this could work:
(I've attached a workflow where you will be able to look at the formulas more closely)

ehughes_0-1606925680824.png

JDong
8 - Asteroid

Hi @DavidP 

This is very close to what I need...but only thing is the values are dropped after the join

In my actual case...I have 3 columns

Level 1  |   Level 2    | Level 3

Maybe Level 2 and Level 3 have number of blanks and hence the records dropping ?

But I see the values in the derived fields.

How to add back the remaining dropped records after the join ? would union work after join and I do a left join.

Thanks

JDong
8 - Asteroid

Hi @ehughes 

Good question..there would be multiple rows for each country. But in all the record set would be limited to a fixed set of rows say 80 rows.

Thanks

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @JDong 

Can you post an example - that would make it easier for me to understand

JDong
8 - Asteroid

Hi @DavidP 

In the example you provided we notice one record dropped and showing in the left join

Gallop_0-1606927079857.png

This seems to be the issue in my actual flow. Is there a way we can still show these records in the final output.

Gallop_0-1606927512283.png

I tried a union after changing join condition to left but does not seems to pull the records in.

Thanks

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Ok, yes, I get it now.

Yes, you can use a Union tool, like this. The reason it didn't join is because the Vehicle field was hull and the Join tool uses that field to join. So all the rows like that will not have a Sales Final value. 

DavidP_0-1606927329242.png

ehughes
9 - Comet

My solution should work if the number of rows for each country remains constant.

JDong
8 - Asteroid

Hi @DavidP 

That is exactly what I wish to resolve 🤔

Any way to show the data even if column has Null ?

As a standard the user just needs the derived column in a report to verify with the other values

Labels