Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Delimiters while using Notepad

rpriyada
5 - Atom

Hello, I tried to bring in a Notepad file and while delimiting , specific records are not properly delimited. How to resolve this? Regards, Priya

7 REPLIES 7
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @rpriyada 

Can you provide some sample input notepade file and expected output it will help us get a better understanding of the usecase.

rpriyada
5 - Atom

Hello atcodedog05,

Attaching the notepad file and the output fetched from the same while delimiting. Whenever there is special characters the fields are not properly delimiting.

Thanks!

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@rpriyada 
I am sure @atcodedog05 would give a better solution. 😂

1102-rpriyada.PNG

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @rpriyada 

Here is my take. @Qiu has already done a pretty good job with his solution 🙂. I reduce it a little bit.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1635869829452.png

Changes:

1. Regex is different.

2. @Qiu has taken column name dynamically but in this case, it's not that much helpful according to me. The reason being Regex is static and will work only to extract these columns which are fixed(not dynamic). And reducing your workflow will decrease runtime 😅. Other than that @Qiu method is definitely a pretty good solution.

PS: @Qiu I will be on vacation for a while and won't be posting any solutions 😅. Hoping you and other solution authors will do your best like always to help people 🙂

Hope this helps : )

HomesickSurfer
12 - Quasar

Hi @rpriyada 

• Input the txt file as Flat ASCII
  • Use Field Settings from File: SHIPMENTS.flat (attached as .txt - rename extension to .flat)
  • Run the workflow (attached)

Capture2.PNG

Capture.PNG

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Definitely an interesting approach @HomesickSurfer 🙂

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@atcodedog05 
Enjoy your vacation. 😁