Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Data extraction issue

MD2050
8 - Asteroid

Hello Everyone-

I need some assistance in understanding what i am doing wrong in the attached workflow?

Situation : i have a set of data which has employee hours by day , please see attached excel file for reference (for this illustration i just pulled yesterday's and today's data) . i am trying to schedule a job which will run every morning and will show a summary of hours worked from previous day .

I used a filter tool and in the expression box i did DateTimeAdd(DateTimeToday(),-1,"days") , for some reason this logic is not working in my case and i don't see yesterday's data at the "True" node.

Thank you very much.

5 REPLIES 5
MSalvage
11 - Bolide

@MD2050,

in this sample workflow it does not look like you are giving the filter a boolean condition. For a filter to work you need a condition that can be marked true or false.

Instead of the If statement you have written try:

[Date] = DateTimeAdd(DateTimeToday(),-1,"days")

Best,

MSalvage

danrh
13 - Pulsar

Try these two changes:

- Change your expression to DateTimeAdd(DateTimeToday(),-1,'days')=[Date]

- Just prior to your filter, add a Select tool and change your Date field to a DateTime type.  Right now it looks like your comparing a Date and a DateTime and the two don't always play nicely.

Hope it helps!

MD2050
8 - Asteroid

Thank you very much danrh - 

It worked perfectly.

MD2050
8 - Asteroid

Thank you MSalvage for the prompt response.

Just a curiosity , I am new to Alteryx and i am loving it . Is there documentation which explains the fundamentals of the tool ? 

MSalvage
11 - Bolide

Yeah there is a ton of documentation on all the tools. Just a few ways I would recommend. If you left click on a tool in the tool bar, it will give you a brief description and some tools have examples you can open.

filter tool desc.PNG

Also, with any tool if you are clicked on it on the canvas, you can click the ? and it will link you to a full, much more in depth, description of the tool.

help icon.PNG

And of course there is the Alteryx academy where you can watch videos/take courses on specific tools/sets of tools.

It is a great tool and it has plenty of support behind it. Have fun!

Best,

MSalvage

Labels