Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Data Input from a Directory (all Excel files)

synergy825
Asteroid

Hi,

I am trying to input from a directory with a list of Excel files.  Each file is labeled as a Year from 1966 to 2022.  In the input tool, I put the *.xlsx to pull all the files in the file directory.

however, when I listed the years in Tableau to check it only had some of the years:

synergy825_0-1678645544715.png

I have attached the workflow here, as well as a couple of the files that have years missing.  Can you please let me know what I'm doing wrong?

6 ANTWORTEN 6
Luke_C
Castor

Hi @synergy825 

I can't reproduce with this data, all 4 files loaded in fine. If I had to guess, with your full dataset you might be seeing a warning that the files that are missing have different schemas, which is common when loading multiple excels. If that's the case you could use a batch macro to load the data instead.

binuacs
Polaris

@synergy825 Like @Luke_C mentioned there were no issues loading the files. You can add a summarize tool and check the years in Alteryx itself

binuacs_0-1678648303131.png

synergy825
Asteroid

Hi @Luke_C ,

Yes, it does say different schema.  I'm fairly new to Alteryx, how can I utilize a batch macro to do this?  Thank you!

Luke_C
Castor

Hi @synergy825 

Check out this article, it should get you going in the right direction. If you get stuck let us know.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Read-in-Multiple-Excel-Files-with-M...

synergy825
Asteroid

Thank you @Luke_C !  This is very helpful!

synergy825
Asteroid

Thank you @binuacs !

Umfrage
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Beschriftungen