Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Crosstab tool, my input file columns change, how to update it dynamically?

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

Hi,

I am using the crosstab tool. 

Here is my input:

wonka1234_0-1674148160186.png

So now the date is not dynamically update in my crosstab tool

wonka1234_1-1674148205085.png

Ie previously my input was 202202.. so now when i update to a new file for 202203 it is not automatically ch ecked off..

Is there a way to automatically have these checked in my crosstab tool ? ie if i check 202203 in here, when i update to 202204 it wont be checked,

ALso is it possible to have multiple dates checked? ie if i update to 202204, 202205 it will have both checked!

4 REPLIES 4
mwong
8 - Asteroid

I have the same situation.  I would appreciate it if anyone can share their ideas

mwong
8 - Asteroid

FYI @WO and anyone else researching this, I found this chain and guide helpful for my situation and workflow: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Desktop-Discussions/Dynamic-Data-Cleansing/m-p/108... 

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@wonka1234 
Maybe not so common applicable, if your column number is fixed, we can use a mapping file with pre-defined columns names, then rename the inpu file column with Dynamic Rename.

So the CrossTab will received the data with same column names each time.

0922-wonka1234.PNG

Peachyco
11 - Bolide

I've attached the Alteryx package that I use for dynamically determining the columns for Cross-Tab grouping. I just slightly modified @BenMoss' work from this related discussion.

Essentially, it's a two-macro process:

1. The first macro builds the XML expression for which columns to group by and passes it to the second macro.
  2. The second macro uses the Cross Tab tool, using the XML expression accordingly.

You can pass a dataset with any number of columns to this batch macro. The only rule is that the column to be cross-tabbed must be named [Name], and the column of values must be named [Value] - all the other columns can have any name.

Labels