Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Creating conditional new field via formula tool IF statament

acerdell
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have 4 fields of product codes that I want to merge them into a single field (WITH A FORMULA TOOL) based on:

Please see table below

1st row: if they all contain "same" field names, only display one outcome

2nd row: if only some fields are the same, seperate them with a dash (-)

3rd row: if there is only one entry in any of field 1, 2,3,4 display it on the newfield (or if there are two entries, display all etc)

4th row: if field 1,2,3,4 are all empty, display nothing " "

5th row: If they are all different, display all in "newfield" and seperate them with a dash

Field1Field2Field3Field4NEWFIELD
ABABABABAB
ABCDABSDAB-CD-SD
 AB  AB

ABBCDCFDAB-BC-DC-FD

4 REPLIES 4
jgo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @acerdell,

See if this workflow contains the solution you're looking for...

Best,

Jimmy

acerdell
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the attachment...I actually have a similar workflow that works for my case but I'm particularly looking for a single formula function

Like if field1=field2 then...etc

Again thanks for the workflow though

jgo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thank you, @acerdell, for accepting my answer. In terms of a single formula to produce the same output, I don't think there is one without a really complex conditional expression. This approach though would be dynamic in the fact that if there's more fields added, this would still solve for that without modification, as opposed to a formula, it would require you to make some modifications to the expression on those instances.

Best,

Jimmy

acerdell
8 - Asteroid

That is what I realized too. I had a similar worflow but it looks like that it has some issues, but yours is well built. Thanks again

Labels