Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Count of Items Determined by Where it Falls in the Range

ancook
6 - Meteoroid

I am trying to create a workflow that will quickly categorize my data determined on the range it falls in. For example, for the data below I would want to know that there are 2 animals that have 0 spots, 3 animals that have 2-50 spots, and 2 animals that have 51- 1000 spots. How would I do this? 

Animal

# of Spots 

Giraffe500
Cheetah1000
Dog2
Bear0
Frog10
Elephant0
Lady bug15
4 REPLIES 4
alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

The Tile tool set to the Manual options so you can set those cutoffs will likely be your best bet! Then you can do whatever you need to get the count - likely a summarize tool. Here is a start:

Otherwise you might just look at doing an IF statement to create the groups based on the buckets you want!

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Just make sure your [# of Spots] column is set to be numeric: https://help.alteryx.com/current/en/designer/tools/preparation/tile-tool.html#idm45436774327904

It will give you a Tile Number based on what bucket it falls into, plus the recordID of that value in the group with the Tile Sequence Number

Manoj_k
9 - Comet

Hi @ancook you can use the tile function to create your own Bins as attached in the screenshot

Screenshot 2024-03-06 021421.png

apathetichell
19 - Altair

there is also the otherwise pointless multi-field binning tool. which is basically a macro with a tile tool inside.

Labels