Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Converting Names to a PDF

JamesJL
7 - Meteor

Hi all,

Sorry for the confusion about the title. It was kind of difficult to explain.

I was provided an excel sheet that contains three columns with different names such as:

Column A: abc

Column B: def

Column C: ghi

I wanted to know if there is a way to combine those columns as one name to name my PDF files (there are a lot of PDFs).

Example: I want one of my pdf files to be named as ABCDEFGHI

Many thanks

6 REPLIES 6
alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @JamesJL,

Very simple example but something like this should work! Essentially you need to pull down those column names with a Field Info tool, concatenate the values together, and create your pdf path with it. That path will end up going to the Render tool where you can output as a PDF.

-Alex

JamesJL
7 - Meteor

Thank you so much!

However, it seems to over write what I already have in my PDF. My PDFs are already populated with data. Is there another work around?

Thanks!

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @JamesJL 

You could use a run command tool to do this. I believe I replied to another one of your posts with an example. If you share more information we can make it work for your use case. 

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @JamesJL,

The key thing here would be to make sure your logic would link the column names coming from the Excel to which PDF to rename (if there are a lot of PDFs).

I would look at using the Blob Input and Blob Output tools. You should be able to read in the PDF as a blob, attach the new name that you create (likely utilizing similar logic to what I created above), then output the blob with that new name. This blog helps explain the process for Excel files - Alteryx: Excel Templates with Blob Tools – Intersections and Overlaps (wordpress.com). I am assuming you could possibly replicate it for PDFs but you may not be able to since PDF read in typically require Intelligence Suite.

-Alex

JamesJL
7 - Meteor

Thank you everyone! This was helpful and they weren't lying that this forum is a great resource.

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@JamesJL of course! If you could mark the replies that best resolved your question, that'd be great!

Labels