Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Convert Different String Names into a Unique Standard Name

araquecastro
7 - Meteor

Hi people I have the dataset attached. This is the result of a join using my own input files and other Dataset beyond my control and located in a server with restricted access. I want the column Employee Name to have a unique string model for the name and avoid situations like the ones below:

QUIRRION,DENISE J

QUIRRION, DENISE J

Expected String Model: QUIRRION,DENISE J

DAY, PEG A

DAY, PEG

Expected String Model: DAY, PEG

BUREAU, DIANE D

BUREAU, DIANE

Expected String Model: BUREAU, DIANE

APPLEBEE, CAROL A

APPLEBEE, CAROL

Expected String Model: APPLEBEE, CAROL

This happened this time with this Employee Names, but I'm afraid that this could happen again with other names. What would be a method/approach  I can adopt to develop a solid workflow that can provide consistent results for the Employee Name column.

Thank you in advance for your comments, your support would be really appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

What is the consistent logic you'd want? To remove all middle name initials from the end? In that case, what is the logic for keeping Denise's initial?

araquecastro
7 - Meteor

Hi @alexnajm . Thanks for the reply and observation. The names has to be preserved this way LAST NAME, FIRST NAME, without any additional letters, spaces, symbols, etc. 

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Understood - try this out then! Workflow attached:

araquecastro
7 - Meteor

Thanks @alexnajm . The only problem is that I'm not able to open it due to my Alteryx version, I have the 2021.2.1. The company  I work for has a pending upgrade to the version 2023.1 for January 20/2024. What do you suggest me to do to open the shared workflow?.

Thanks for your reply.

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

You can still open it - it typically just asks “do you want to try” and it’ll work. 

if not, you can right click on the saved file and edit the version in a text editor like Notepad!

araquecastro
7 - Meteor

Thank you @alexnajm I went to the folder and opened the .yxmd attached version. It worked great. I will mark it as solved. 

Labels